Automotive Technicians are tasked with inspecting, maintaining and using diagnostic tools to identify and repair time-sensitive problems that our customers are experiencing. As with all positions within our dealership, Automotive Technicians are expected to uphold the highest ethical standards.
Call 888-775-7750 to Apply
Job duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Examining and diagnosing vehicles to determine wear and extent of damage and/or malfunction and performing work specified on the repair order with efficiency and in accordance with dealership and/or factory standards.
- Conferring with customers or service advisors to obtain descriptions of vehicle or equipment problems, and to discuss work to be performed and future repair requirements.
- Repairing or replacing all parts of a vehicle including wheels, axles, frames, conditioners and servicing components such as compressors, condensers, and controls; and testing electronic computer components in vehicles to ensure that they are working properly.
- Communicating directly with the Location Manager so that customers can be informed if any additional service is needed; providing an estimate of time needed for additional repairs.
- Inspecting and testing new vehicles for damage and recording findings so that necessary repairs can be made.
- Assisting technicians with their skills, providing technical support when needed and monitoring performance and productivity.
- Testing and adjusting repaired systems to meet manufacturers’ performance specifications.
- Ensuring that the shop is in excellent condition in regard to cleanliness, safety and equipment condition; conducting periodic spot checks to maintain high-quality service.
- Test-driving vehicles and testing components and systems using computerized diagnostic equipment.
- Installing wheelchair lifts, scooter lifts, hand controls, wheelchair securement devices, turning seats and other equipment to encourage automotive mobility freedom.
- We require each of our Automotive Service Techs to maintain a valid driver’s license. Suspensions or revocations due to and not limited to impairment may be grounds for discipline, up to and including termination of employment by A&J Vans, Inc.
Scope of Position:
While this document is intended to set forth the general specifications of this position, alternate duties may be assigned not specifically mentioned herein.
The characteristics of the work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to ensure individuals with disabilities are able to perform the essential functions.
Contact Us at 888-775-7750 to Apply
Educational / Skills Requirements:
Most Service Techs will have successfully completed a National Automotive Education Foundation (NATEF) automotive technology training program and have two to five years of experience as an entry-level automotive technician. Most will also hold at least one, and work toward achieving all National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications in the eight automotive specialty areas (engine repair, engine performance, heating and air-conditioning, electrical systems, automatic transmissions, manual transmissions and axle, brakes and front end.) Analytical skills along with a strong background in mathematics, computers/electronics, automotive service and technology courses are also helpful.
Service Technicians must keep abreast of federal, state and local regulations that affect their operations and must also comply with these regulations as well as hazardous waste disposal and OSHA policies.
It is expected that an Automotive Technician will need to complete coursework outside of work hours, on personal time as part of their professional development. Only if time permits, will employees be allowed to complete coursework during regularly scheduled hours. The location manager or direct supervisor will not block time to allow coursework to be completed.
Following are education requirements that can be achieved while employed at A&J.
Other manufacturers as they become available
Additional Expectations: There are certain traits that can help assure success in this position. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- Strong Electrical skills
- Strong Mechanical skills
- Strong Ethics
- Fabrication skills
- Clean and well organized
- Ability to think outside the box
Candidates must also possess a thorough set of tools. At the minimum this would include:
- Cordless Tools, such as power drill
- Pliers set
- Pry bars
- Side cutter
- Standard & Metric Allen wrench sets
- Wire stripper & crimper tools